Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Who is Jesus - 2

 Who is Jesus? 2

August 11, 2026


John 4:21-26 (NKJV) 

21 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 “You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. 23 “But the hour iscoming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 “God [is] Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” 25 The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming” (who is called Christ). “When He comes, He will tell us all things.” 26 Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am [He.]


Yesterday, we started a discussion of who Jesus is. Today we will look at the first passage in the gospel of John where Jesus clearly says that He is the Messiah. The discourse is with the woman at the well in Samaria. They discuss several topics, from water to marriage to worship. After Jesus reveals some uncomfortable truths about the woman’s marriage, she  gets all spiritual and turns the topic to worship and says that the Messiah is coming to explain these things. Jesus’ reply plainly says “I AM is speaking to you.” This clearly reflects the conversation between Moses and the Lord when He says that his name is “I AM who I AM”


Exodus 3:14 (NKJV) 

AndGod said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”


Anyone familiar with the writings of Moses would have immediately understood what Jesus was claiming. One interesting thing about this passage is that Jesus makes this statement to a woman of Samaria. He did not start out with the high priest in the temple at Jerusalem, he made his first claim to a humble woman, a sinner, and an outcast of Israel. Why start here? That’s an interesting question that reveals Jesus’ approach to ministry. The Jews were expecting Messiah to be a king coming to conquer the Romans, but Jesus comes quietly, as a baby in Bethlehem, and then starts to reveal Himself in a backwater of the nation, to a humble outcast. This was not at all what the people were expecting. 


Jesus comes into each of our lives in unexpected ways. He meets us were we are, even if we are an outcast with five failed marriages and many other personal problems. But when we encounter Jesus, we need to listen to Him when He says who He is. When we accept Him as the Messiah, the great I AM, sent from the Father, then we find salvation. This is the living water that Jesus was speaking about, so now it is our job to carry this living water to others and tell them who Jesus is that they too may accept Jesus, drink the living water, and worship Him in spirit and in truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment